Welcome to West Lane

This blog is all about my love (or as I call it "addiction") of
collecting, decorating, cooking, quilting, & fun DIY projects.



May 26, 2010

Don't you just love Garage Sales!


Our Kentucky weather has only just recently started to cooperate to where the area can blossom into the 'Garage Sale' season. Yes this is a true season that falls in between Spring and Summer ;-)
My first venture was last Saturday morning ~ while the hub was still asleep~ a sweet little lady down the street had all her wears out for viewing and to sell her precious goods. I stopped by to take a look and boy did I hit the mother-load. She had some beautiful things ~ well, to garage sale goers they were beautiful. It was crowded and I surveyed the area quickly to spy if anything cream or white popped out at me. There at the far table was a worn bushel basket full of white dishes that read
~ Ironstone Dinner Ware, 12 piece setting, mix & match Iroquois pattern, $25.00 ~

 ...."Heaven, glorious heaven you are mine", I thought. Looking more closely the set included a serving platter and the salt & pepper, a little grungy but in good shape. I could see a crack or two in one or two of the plates, but really this wasn't going to stop me from grabbing these beauties. I purchased them lock-stock-and bushel basket and quickly loaded them into my vehicle.  
I continued to look around and the little lady followed me telling me different things about her glassware. Some were in lots of fives, some twos, and threes, but I could tell they were all old. She said, as she pointed to some darling juice glasses; " I remember drinking out of these at my grandmothers when I was a child and I'm 80 now". I complimented her on looking so good at her age and she blushed. How precious was her story and of course I bought those as well for $2. She continued with "Here are three matching water glasses, it would be a shame to leave them" (man she was on a roll wasn't she) - she's right, I'll take those too for $1.    I often set a table for two and will use them with joy.
I love the delicate intertwining lace pattern that boarders each glass.
If you knows what pattern this is please send me an email or post a comment below to let me know.
 Once at home I washed everything and surveyed my find.
This was a collection in itself, I thought.
Most were in great shape and noticed a variety of  markings on the back of each one.
There were: 6 place settings of the Iroquois China by Fridoline USA.,
2 place settings of the Joshua Crabtree Esq. Commemorative China by Iroquois-Denisco Collection,
4 place settings of the Dover Group-White Dover Ironstone USA.
~ The cups (on the right) had 2 different markings~
The Henry Ford Museum - Greenfield Village
The Museum Collection Simpson LTD - Edison Institute


What a wonderful day it was!

No comments:

Post a Comment