Welcome to West Lane

This blog is all about my love (or as I call it "addiction") of
collecting, decorating, cooking, quilting, & fun DIY projects.



May 27, 2010

My Creation Became A Reality


After nearly five years into my cozy 1940's cottage home, I still had not found a way to display my white dish collection? My poor kitchen cabinets were overflowing with Ironstone and Pfaltzgraff
The dining room is where I wanted to show them off, but it is not a big room and needs all the floor space it could possibly keep. A hutch would just not be a good solution. Hummm~What if it hung on the wall and didn't take up any of my floor space?  
Time to doodle! (That's what I do best!)
Me thinking: I like the Welsh design simplicity, add some tongue and grove for backing, the shelves need to be deeper than a plate rack to hold my collection, and paint it cream~ of course!

Now I jostled around with the idea of taking an old hutch top and converting it into what I wanted, but that would be outside my skill set indeed. I searched the thrift stores to see what a hutch top would cost, but no such luck. A few weeks later a co-worker, who we will call Jeff came into my office during lunch and saw the doodle-page laying in front of me and asked "What's this?" I laughed and said, "A creation waiting for a maker". Boy was that the right person to say that to, come to find out Jeff, is a wood worker. He looked at what I had on my sketch and said "let me give you a quote on what it would take to build this".

Well folks, it could not have turned out any better.
With a little tweak here and there this is the final product. 
 I love it - love it - love it.
 You are welcome to use my design, just give
credit where credit is due please.
Send me photos of  your hutch creations and I'll post them here.


No comments:

Post a Comment